Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Spider-Man: Turn on the Laughs

Spider-Man is everywhere, even my last blog entry. I'm going to write a little more about Spider-Man. Growing up, I would read the occasional Spider-Man comic, but he was far from my favorite hero. Somewhere, there is a photo of a two year old me getting a Spider-Man t-shirt and you never saw a happier child. My mom tells me I really wanted that shirt. Now I really want that photo. But I didn't follow him or enjoy him as much as Superman or Batman. I've always considered myself a DC person, and I still do.

In fact, when it comes to Spider-Man, my fondest memory goes back just a little over 3 years ago. Spider-Man helped me through a very difficult time. When I lived in New Jersey, I had a beautiful cat named Peppi. She was the greatest little creature you ever met. Well she was if you were my mom, my sister or me. Otherwise, she probably tolerated you or didn't like you. That doesn't change the fact that we all loved this little cat and she loved us. Peppi was great.

I found her as a kitten my sophomore year of high school. This photo was taken not long after we first got her.


I'd never had a pet before and she quickly became part of the family. I'm guessing this happens with most pets. I haven't had one since I moved to California in 2007 but Marie and I are talking about adopting two cats soon.

But back to Peppi. This little girl lived to be 19 years old. Let me put that in human terms. Miss June 2010, Katie Vernola, was younger than my cat. Do you have any idea how awkward it is to realize your cat is older than the woman appearing as a centerfold in Playboy? And yes, that was the issue of Playboy that came with the 3D glasses, so I had to suffer the double humiliation of reading Playboy while also wearing 3D glasses and then realizing my cat was older than the centerfold.

Towards the end of 2010, Peppi got sick, and it came on fast. I won't make you sad with the details, but on December 4, 2010, we had to put the little girl down. My mom and sister called me from the vet and had me on speakerphone. It was tough to get through and I was 3000 miles away. I hadn't seen Peppi in over a year and now I'd never get to see her again. I was devastated but Spider-Man cheered me up.

There was a Broadway musical that was being prepared at the time and it kept getting hit with delays. Articles were appearing all the time about this show, "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark", and all of the problems it was having. Conan O'Brien, who'd recently returned to late-night TV, had a lot of fun with this musical. It was one of these bits that helped me get through my depressing time losing my cat. I played it over and over again and it just kept making me laugh. To this day, I can still sing all of the lyrics (Marie knows them as well now) and it still makes me laugh. I also think of my cat, but mainly I think of the laughs. I hope you enjoy this video as much as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment